Monday, September 15, 2008

When a train blows up

When a train blows up, it changes things. As many of you know, Union Pacific lost some great men in the last couple of weeks. Richard Pendarvis (whom I knew) and Larry Williams (whom I did not know) of Oklahoma were killed August 31st when a train they took from Wichita, heading to Oklahoma, hit a propane truck killing both of them and the driver of the propane truck. Ironically, the driver of the truck was a former conductor on the Rock Island railroad; you would think he'd know better. Here is a photo of the engine that Pendarvis and Williams were on.


I'm not going to sugarcoat it for you, they died in a fiery explosion that is the fear of every railroader riding a train. The scary thing for us is they did nothing wrong. They were simply going about their business, running things how they should be run. The truck pulled out in front of them after having just loaded his truck with propane. He apparently didn't even look because it was a clear day and you could see down the rail for miles. It was also the driver's first solo run.

I never handle things like this very well. I tend to empathize with people maybe a bit too much during tragic events and lose the ability to remove myself from the event. It didn't help that 2 days later we lost a man that worked in Wichita and was a mentor to many of us in Wichita. John Wylie died September 2nd at his farm from a freak accident. He was a quiet man that led by deed, not just word. He was very laid back and a pleasure to work with.

Crap happens doesn't it? I mean, everyday people are lost from this earth through no fault of their own. The phrase 'wrong place at the wrong time' just doesn't seem to do justice to it but it is the reality of it. I've cried a lot the last 2 weeks, but not just about this. I wondered what plans these men all had. Did they have their 401k plans high enough to retire on? Did they have trips planned that they hadn't been able to do yet? Did they have kids they had not talked to in awhile? Did they have friends they had been meaning to call, but just didn't get around to it?

I want to propose something to you. I want to propose 'The Pendarvis Rule'. I named it that not only because I knew Richard Pendarvis but he also has a fun last name to say. My friend 'Johnny Train' (who I mentioned in another blog) used to love saying his name; drawing it out nice and long--- Pendaaaaaaaaaaarvis. Here's the rule: quit putting things off. If there is something you want to do, do it. If there is something you need to say to someone you love, say it. If there is somewhere you need to go, go there. If there is something you've done that needs 'cleaned up', then clean it up. If you want to go to school, go. If you want to quit your job and try something else, then do it. Granted, your bills, like my bills, my not allow for such freedom but I think you get the basic idea.

The writer in Ecclesiastes 11:6-8 gets it right when he says,

6 Go to work in the morning
and stick to it until evening without watching the clock.
You never know from moment to moment
how your work will turn out in the end.

Before the Years Take Their Toll
7-8 Oh, how sweet the light of day,
And how wonderful to live in the sunshine!
Even if you live a long time, don't take a single day for granted.
Take delight in each light-filled hour,
Remembering that there will also be many dark days
And that most of what comes your way is smoke.

I'm not sure how good I will be at this. I tend to 'wait' or 'fear what might happen' but I do know that life is short, too short.

I know every routine those men went through on that fateful day; I do them every time I'm at work and on a train. I know the things you think. I know the conversations they were having. It's almost like I was there; all of us railroaders have been there. I'm sure they made calls telling loved ones where they were and what time they'd be home. I'm sure they had plans.... and this sounds cliche and pardon the pun, but those plans literally went up in smoke in the flash of an eye. Based on the reports I've read, they had about 10 seconds to know they were in serious trouble. They tried to make a run for it out the back door but the blast was simply too great. It blew part of the tank on the truck over 1/2 mile away. Our friends were found in the ditch next to the rail.

'The Pendarvis Rule' simply reminds us all that we aren't guaranteed a single moment more on this earth and with this life. I've blown so many chances to do so many things but I've also filled my life with great memories by doing things that weren't always 'planned'. Enjoy your lives. Quit brooding over all that you don't have and simply bask in the glory of all you have been given. Quit fighting with your spouse. Get over it already. Quit forcing your kids to do things they don't want to do; love them. Quit harping about the past and start milking the present for all it's bloody worth.

I got a notice in the mail the other day about how my 401k is doing. I simply smiled and threw it away. Rest in peace John, Larry and Richard.

3 comments:

tan247 said...

What a wonderful and heartfelt post. I know I am 3 years late in commenting but I just had to tell you how encouraging & thought provoking your post is. I'm from the same hometown as Ricky (Richard) and know many of his family. May he and the rest of the men whose lives were lost that day rest in peace. I pray that time has allowed your heart to heal.

Unknown said...

Rest in Peace Uncle Ricky

Unknown said...

Rest in Peace Uncle Ricky